• Personal essays to assure, amuse and
inspire every tenderfoot who dreams of walking in the
countryside. Stories to delight everyone who enjoys
reading about the journeys of others.
• Advice—embellished with personal
anecdotes and tips—about the basic gear every walker
needs, along with advice about getting ready—from planning
a ramble and learning how to pack “kit and caboodle” to
the actual travel process.
• Essentials of life along a
footpath—coping with aches, pains and rain, enjoying the
rhythms of daily routines, doing laundry, and finding
comfort along the route.
• Useful information enhanced with tips
and tales about British bed and breakfasts, youth hostels,
the welcoming cup of tea, and meals at pubs, restaurants
and private homes along the way.
• Original pen and ink sketches by Elayne
Sears add to the charm of this thorough and friendly